Saturday 5 January 2008

Step reps

Feel like a proper grown-up, as I managed to sleep past 9am this morning. That's probably the latest since my student days. I think the festivities and a couple of hectic days at work took a lot out of me. Or maybe it was lying under the velux windows listening to the rain and wind bashing of them.

Whilst everyone else was preparing for the Nigel Barge 10K, I was opting to do my own. Found a lovely set of steps when I was out on my run last weekend, so I've been dying to them a bash.

The steps are long and require two footstrikes. Then there's a plateau at the top, back down the steps at the other side and then a 50m sprint back to the start. Still with me? Decided to try eight. 1:20, 1:17, 1:19, 1:17, 1:15, 1:17, 1:16 and 1:13. Great wee session. And it's there are streetlights too, so perfect for a winter's evening.
(Yes, I went back to take this picture. I'm going to be flung in white van soon. I can imagine folks in the vale thinking: "aye, that's the nutter who was running about with socks on her hands last week")

I went along to Nigel Barge 10K to cheer on Marco and fellow Garscube and WHW runners. OK, it was to try out my new camera really ;-) I must have had a premonition, as my morning run was definitely the best option. It wasn't just raining cats and dogs, it was raining farm animals. The wind was howling and it was icy cold. To add to that, it's two reps round a very boring hilly course. Felt quite smug wrapped in a down jacket and perched under a golf umbrella.

I found a great wall to stand on to get views - and pictures - of uncoming runners. Unfortunately the wind threatened to throw me off, so that was short lived.

Despite the odds being against him, Marco got a PB with 35:31. How's that for a great start to the new year? He might even go crazy and update his blog.
















No comments: